Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Blogger Is Now For Students

I have decided to move my LIS blog to Blogger.  I have long been frustrated by the lower standard of usability on WordPress. The new WordPress policy that free blogs will occasionally carry advertising was the final straw for me.  I don't want WordPress to monetize my blog.  It is important that a LIS student's blog look professional.  Advertising on a blog is never professional, and will not be regarded as such by my potential employers. WordPress offers the option of paying for no advertising, but like many students I  deliberately chose to work  part-time so I would be able to complete my coursework. I am a bookkeeper, so I understand that budgeting is critical. I know that I can't afford any extra expenses.

I believe that all students should seriously consider moving their blogs from WordPress, and that Blogger is the best choice.  It has the best useability and SEO. I think that faculty should also be steering students away from WordPress because of this new policy.  Whether they want to steer students toward Blogger will be up to the university.  They may want students to decide themselves.  That would certainly be a valid policy. For me, the choice is clear.  There are no drawbacks to this decision.  I think that other students will realize this for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment